Monday, December 26, 2005

Bafat Powder

Bafat powder is used by us in a many dishes, both veg & non-veg. The fragrance of this masala itself is so very appetising & it adds a very beautiful flavour as well as colour to the dish. This masala can be found in Mangalore stores in India. You could also make it at home & store it in a bottle. Below is the recipe :

2 1/2 kg long red chillies
1/2 kg short red chillies
250 gms corainder seeds
150 gms cumin seeds
50 gms mustard seeds
50 gms black peppercorns
50 gms turmeric
50 gms cloves & cinnamon

Dry all the above ingredients in the sun for 3-4 days. Powder & store in an airtight container.

8 comments:

sailu said...

Thanks for sharing this powder recipe,Tina.Can we reduce the quantity of long red chillis and if yes,by how much?

Tina Jennifer D'Silva said...

You could reduce the qty of red chillies as per ur taste... What we generally use is Kashmiri chillies... which are much less pungent & also gives a great colour to the dish. So the bafat powder that I make is generally less spicier.

Verdant said...

I can just imagine how beautiful this masala is. If I'm not mistaken, Kashmiri chilies are similar to the Hungarian chilies that are used to make paprika. I often add paprika to the very end of a tarka to give an extra color kick to a dal.

Anonymous said...

hey, tina. love your bafat pd. How about a date. You could cook for me.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tina, the bafat powder looks good. I must try some Manglorean recipes…always enjoy eating them at some friends' home. Cheers!

Joylita said...

Hi Tina,

I came across your blog when I was looking for the prawn amobt-tik recipe(which my family in Mangalore jeerein-meereinchi kadi!) and now this recipe for bafat powder, I can't thank you enough! :)

Joylita

desertfox said...

Hi
There are some recipes of Bafat powder which instruct us to roast the ingredients before powdering, I was wondering which is the real Bafat! or both recipes are correct?

Tina Jennifer D'Silva said...

@desertfox : If for any reason you are unable to dry the spices in the sun, you can roast the spices.