Friday, January 06, 2006

Batata Poha


When Meena from Hooked On Heat announced the From My Rasoi - Breakfast event, the first thing that came to my mind was Batata Poha that my mom used to make. She would make it so delicious that we would almost fight for the last bit of the poha in the vessel. On my mothers trip to the US, my husband learnt it from her & almost fell in love with it. Till date he is trying to master the art of making the Batata Poha, struggling to give it the same look and taste as how my mother made it.
So here comes From My Rasoi to yours for breakfast - Batata Poha :

2 cups poha (thick flattened rice)
1 big potato, boiled, peeled & mashed roughly
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
few curry leaves
1 green chilli, finely chopped
1 small to medium sized onion, chopped
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp salt or as per your taste
1 tbsp sugar
a lemon
1 heaped tbsp of grated coconut, for garnish
chopped corainder leaves, for garnish
1 tbsp oil

Take poha in a bowl & wash it well using your fingers. Drain & set aside. Do not soak the poha.

Heat oil in a vessel. Put in the mustard seeds & let it splutter. Next add the curry leaves & let it sizzle in the hot oil. Add the chopped green chillies & fry till it turns crisp. Next add the onions & fry till they turn just transparent. Do not brown it. Add turmeric powder & saute for a few seconds. Add the washed poha & mix well. Add salt, sugar & mix well. Add the roughly mashed potatoes & mix well. Pour over the lemon juice & mix well. Garnish with grated coconut & chopped corainder leaves. Cover the vessel. Set aside.

Now take a big pan & keep it on high flame. Once the pan heats up, turn flame to low & keep the vessel in which the poha is cooked on the hot pan & leave it aside for 10 minutes or so. This process is also called as Dum, which is generally done for biryanis. This will help the flavours of the spices to absorb into the poha.

Once done, serve hot.

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds fabulous! I love poha - total comfort food. But I'm not quite understanding the "dum" technique. Usually I just cook mine on low on top of a rice flame tamer. Do you heat up one pot and then put another pot inside it - both covered? And that doesn't singe the bottom of the pots? Or am I misunderstanding the technique?

Tina Jennifer D'Silva said...

Hi Diane.. thanx so much.

I have used the open flat pan or tawa used to make chapatis or tortillas for Dum. It does the same job as the rice flame tamer. I keep the wok or kadhai in which the poha is made for Dum on that open pan.

sailu said...

Good entry for a breakfast theme,Priya.

Tina Jennifer D'Silva said...

Hi Sailu.. thanx so much..
Well.. its Tina... I guess u had a name-mistake.

Priya Bhaskaran said...

Hey tina, I make poha quite often as a snack for evenings. Wanted to try out something different and you came with a right recipe:)

Tina Jennifer D'Silva said...

Hi Priya... I am sure u will like it. Its an awesome meal in itself.

Ashwini said...

Hi Tina, we make kanda (onion) poha quite often but potato, now thats a keeper. I quite liked the dum bit at the end. I am sure the technique infuses the dish with a lovely flavor. Meena's event is giving me some great breakfast recipes! Thanks to you and her

Tina Jennifer D'Silva said...

Thanx Ashwini...

Kay said...

Tina, I love batata poha. I too make it in the exact way. I picked up this recipe from my friends in Pune.

Btw, which brand of poha do you use? Lately, I've been using swad (thin) with bad results :(

Tina Jennifer D'Silva said...

Hi Kay,

Dont use thin poha... Use the thick one. Batata poha is usually made with the thick poha..

Kay said...

Thanks Tina, I'll try with the thick one next time.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

The poha looks delicious. It is one of my favourite dishes. What I like about it is that it can be eaten both as a breakfast dish, and as an evening snack. We make poha at home in pretty much the same way, except that we don't use any turmeric powder and potato, and we use coconut oil instead of refined oil. A friend of mine prepares poha with husked green gram and orange juice/musambi juice. She says it tastes fantastic with sweetlime juice!

We also make a sweet dish with poha. In the evenings, when there isn't anything interesting to munch at home, we wash some poha and add some sugar to it. After about 20 minutes, by which time the sugar would have soaked in nicely, we add some grated coconut to it and eat. Simple and easy to prepare, it makes for a great evening snack!

Meenakshi at PRITYA

Anonymous said...

Hi...

Why does my Powa always turn into mash? Any thoughts, maybe the powa is not of good quality?

Thanks..

Tina Jennifer D'Silva said...

Hi Anonymous... I am not sure if u are soaking the poha for a long time. Just wash it well & use it immediately.
Secondly, this recipe requires Thick poha... not thin. Just check if u r using the right one..

Chronicles of Rishi Ghan and then some said...

you have given a ray of hope to a starving masters student.

Anonymous said...

it tasted really good! thanks for sharing it!

Anonymous said...

why garner it with coconut and spoil the taste of poha...

Live ’n’ Learn said...

Hi Tina,
I tried this. Came out very well. Did you ever try poha with black chick peas (kale sone) thats what they call in mangalore. Same exact recipe instead of potato you use chick peas. Very delicious. You should try.... Thanks for the recipes.

Tina Jennifer D'Silva said...

Thanx Gracy !! will try that out. I'm sure it wud taste great.

Unknown said...

Dear Tina ,

Thanks for such a delicious recipe , the dum effect really made the difference . Followed your recipe and the poha turned out to be " Just how my nani makes it " in my son's language which is a really big complement coming from my son as no one else's cooking is as good as Nani's .
Thanks for sharing !!

Poonam

Anonymous said...

Thank you Tina for the recipe. Will try it out today. One question... don't you need hing in the tadka?

Leland Stone said...

Hi, Tina!

Not only does this dish sound tempting, but your presentation is delightful as well. Thanks for sharing this!

Lately I've noticed varied poha grains at the local Indian grocers, in addition to rice. I bought some corn poha, and the wheat looks tempting. Are there changes you recommend with these other pohas, or can I follow the recipe as posted?

Warm regards,
Leland Stone
www.birthdaypartymagicshows.com

Tina Jennifer D'Silva said...

@Leland Stone :
Thanks for the good words!
I have never tried the wheat & corn poha. So I would not be able to help you at this. Maybe, you can try using the same steps as in the recipe & see how it works.