Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Traditional Egg Curry



This is the traditional way my mom prepares the mangalorean egg curry at home. Very delicious & my favourite meal. No matter how much I try, the curry does not taste as perfect & as delicious as my mom's preparation. Well... sometimes cooking is more than just a recipe.

My mother usually grinds this masala on a stone grinder, making the paste really fine. Here in the US you dont get stone grinders... but the blender will do just the perfect job.

Here I am sharing the recipe of my favourite dish.

6 eggs, hard-boiled, peeled & halved
1 small to medium onion, thinly sliced
1 tomato, cut into wedges
2 potatoes, peeled, halved lengthwise & then quartered
1 raw egg, beaten
salt, to taste
3 tbsp oil

Grind to a fine paste:

4 tbsp grated coconut
6 - 7 dried kashmiri red chillies
1 tbsp corainder seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 medium onion
2 cloves garlic
1 heaped tsp tamarind paste

Grind the masala to a fine paste. Remove the paste & set aside.

In the same grinder, put 2 cups full of water & pulse the blender. Remove this masala water into a deep saucepan. Put in the tomato wedges & potatoes, along with some salt. Keep the vessel on medium flame & boil till the potatoes are cooked. Put in the beaten egg & stir till the eggs are scrambled & done. Set aside.

Heat oil in a kadhai. Add the sliced onions & fry till they turn golden brown. Add the masala paste & fry for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Becareful as the masala splatters, while cooking. Add the potato & tomato mixture & enough water to make a thick gravy. Add salt & let it come to a boil. Lower the flame & add in the boiled & halved eggs. Cook for 2 mins & remove from flame.

Serve hot with steamed rice as below.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tina, Awesome pictures,your blog seems to be getting delicious with each post!

Tina Jennifer D'Silva said...

Thanx so much Lera..

Nupur said...

I love making egg curry from different regions! thanks for sharing this mangalorean version, I will try it soon.

Tina Jennifer D'Silva said...

Sure Nupur, Do let me know how it comes out at ur end...

Dawna said...

This egg curry looks great, Tina. I've been thinking about egg curry a lot lately, and was looking for a new recipe. I definitely want to try yours.

Tina Jennifer D'Silva said...

Thanx Dawna... Do let me know how it turns out in ur kitchen..

Queenie said...

I could not eat that.
lol

Q

Nupur said...

I tried this yesterday Tina, and it was fabulous! The tartness of the tomato and tamarind are perfect with the smooth coconut curry. Thanks for sharing a great recipe.

Tina Jennifer D'Silva said...

Thanx so much Nupur...

Shammi said...

"sometimes cooking is more than just a recipe." - Truer words couldnt have been said, Tina!

GourmayMasala said...

Tina, I tried this recipe after seeing the link on the One Hot Stove. Both my husband and I loved this egg curry. I will definitely be making it again! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hey Tina:
I am a Mangalorian myself and stumbled on your site.
I am going to prepare this tonight and thank you so much for posting.

Hope I remember my mom :-)

You made my day

Tina Jennifer D'Silva said...

Thanx Anil,

I hope u like it as much as I do.
Do let me know how it turns out at ur end.

Anonymous said...

hey Tina. I am a Mangalorean too. New at cooking. Stumbled on ur egg curry recipe. Will definitely try it . Only prob is getting the coconut into real fine paste. Say, do we use fresh grated coconut or dessicated/powdered ?

- Janet

Tina Jennifer D'Silva said...

Hi Janet.. U r right.. The grinders here dont grind well.. I add a little more water than usual to get the grinder going & run it for a longer time... I use fresh coconut here..
Sometimes.. I also use coconut milk powder instead of grated coconut. It gives me a smooth paste without compromising on the taste..

saggidiana said...

Hey Tina,
Tried out your recipe.It turned out "finger-licking fabulous".I was a little skeptical about not dry roasting the coconut and other spices,but it turned out great all the same .
Thanks so much for posting
Diana

Tina Jennifer D'Silva said...

Hey Diana.. I am so glad u liked it.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tina,

I tried your traditional egg curry today and it was awesome. Thank you so much for this recipe. Sara

Anonymous said...

Do u still blog. let me know at sonris96@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

I've been looking out for a superb recepi for a typical manglorean egg curry that i mis badly.....thanz tina baie

Anonymous said...

Thanks Tina! I tried it and it simply is awesome..filled with manglorean aroma...so yummy...thanks for sharing!